Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 31, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #3,001 of 3,009
May 31, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #3,002 of 3,009
Update on the MJ3 slight edginess I thought I heard: I’m not hearing it any more. This is a fantastic amp!

I’m not ready to say SS beats tubes, but I will say the MJ3 is definity welcome in my system.

May 31, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #3,003 of 3,009
Caldera is heavy. You just saved your neck some chiropractor and massage cost.

My headphone chair is an Ekornes recliner. Most comfortable chair in the world and perfect for headphone listening because it takes the load off your neck.

Highly recommended despite the stupid price tag. They’re extremely well made. There’s probably other brands making similar at more reasonable prices.

The model I have looks like this, though a different color.

IMG_0679.jpeg

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #3,004 of 3,009
My headphone chair is an Ekornes recliner. Most comfortable chair in the world and perfect for headphone listening because it takes the load off your neck.

Highly recommended despite the stupid price tag. They’re extremely well made. There’s probably other brands making similar at more reasonable prices.

The model I have looks like this, though a different color.

That looks like the famous audiophile Lobster Chair by GamuT.
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/10/04/mini-review-gamut-lobster-chair/

P.S. They have those Ekornes at CostCo! https://www.costco.com/.product.100672985.html

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #3,005 of 3,009
Jun 1, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #3,006 of 3,009
So the MJ3 has arrived. Here’s what I think after 3 hours of listening. Not enough time to plumb the depths, but enough for a first impression. Long story short, it sounds like a top notch solid state amp and produces heat like a top notch tube amp.

Speaking of heat, it’s a non issue for me. After running for about 3 hours, I’d say the casing is maybe 80-85 and the right heat sinks are around120. One of many benefits of living in a cold climate :)
IMG_0667.jpeg

Plenty energetic amp. It had no problem driving any of my headphones with authority in single ended mode. My DCA OG AEON flow closed is an astonishingly good match. For those who don’t know this headphone, it has a prominent flaw (IMHO): it sounds compressed- Except on the MJ3 where it positively pops. It’s still not a slamming headphone; too flat a bass curve for that, but if neutral with excellent non sibilant treble is your taste it’s awesome with the MJ3. With the exception of the DCA, I found myself turning the volume down from typical with my tube amps because otherwise the dynamics were fatiguing. Thankfully, there’s so much clarity and detail you lose nothing by turning it down.

My tube amps aren’t at home right now but going by memory, I guess it’s not surprising this amp sounds comparatively dry with maybe a touch of treble edge. I’ll have to listen more to be sure about the edge and it might go away with more break-in time. That said, it is very smooth compared to the GSX-Mini which to my ears definitely has an edge. It is super fast. Some of the guitar / drum jams on Tool’s Fear Inoculum album are positively savage on this amp.

It doesn’t create a soundscape like a good tube amp, but that’s to be expected. Image placement is solid, but without the wetness you get with a tube amp it sounds flatter. My Verite Closed works well since it adds depth and color and creates a very nice soundscape on its own. The LCD-X not so much unless you like your music served dry.

The MJ3 is highly resolving to my ears with superb micro detail and micro dynamics. Heavily layered tracks sound bottomless and my brain feels like the limiting factor when trying to hear everything in the recording. Way more resolution than either of my tube amps. This amp does not color or thicken the sound as far as I can tell, but that’s compared to tube amps so I’m not that sensitive.

As always, IMHO.

Where can I get a table like this to put my gear on? Looks pretty sweet.

Jun 2, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #3,007 of 3,009
Where can I get a table like this to put my gear on? Looks pretty sweet.
I made it. I probably have the CAD file and material take off somewhere if you’re serious.

Jun 2, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #3,008 of 3,009
Jun 2, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #3,009 of 3,009
I made it. I probably have the CAD file and material take off somewhere if you’re serious.

I don't have the space or talent to make things like that. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back