DIY Ground Box Thread
May 5, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #1,636 of 1,690
In this imagine, a passive headphone will sounds (kind of white noise) when he walks. No amp, no daps connected.
Alumi foil piece is slightly contact TRS poles and it will cause contact/non contact status and I am sure sound (noise), produce by diaphragm, comes from that unstable contact.
There are two requirements: walking+unstable contact.

Why does it happen is my question.
Does ground box can change that phenomenon?
Screenshot_20240505_224457_Google.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #1,637 of 1,690
In this imagine, a passive headphone will sounds (kind of white noise) when he walks. No amp, no daps connected.
Alumi foil piece is slightly contact TRS poles and it will cause contact/non contact status and I am sure sound (noise), produce by diaphragm, comes from that unstable contact.
There are two requirements: walking+unstable contact.

Why does it happen is my question.
Does ground box can change that phenomenon?
i tried to rub aluminium foil between the contacts on the plug of my DT880 but i dont hear any sound beside the aluminium foil making noise, so i cant test this theory

are you sure you dont hear mechanical movement of the cable instead of electricity trough the cable? (also it doesnt make much sense since the aluminium foil is actually shorting the contacts...)

May 6, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #1,638 of 1,690
i tried to rub aluminium foil between the contacts on the plug of my DT880 but i dont hear any sound beside the aluminium foil making noise, so i cant test this theory

are you sure you dont hear mechanical movement of the cable instead of electricity trough the cable? (also it doesnt make much sense since the aluminium foil is actually shorting the contacts...)
Just read slowly to see "I am sure (noise) produce by the diaphragm".
Trust it because it's wonderful and new thing to you (me too, I found it just recently).
I also know the bias voltage from measurement just in case if you cant believe.
I guess you fail trying because one of below condition is not satisfying:
. Not in walking
. Not in unstable contacting (too tigh or too loose)

Try this to experience how your headphone sounds (do like that clip, remember lose alu foil enough, dont care for audio of this clip)

See input signal indicator on the amp!

This kind of electricity is not posible to neutral it by grounding.
I try touching ground wire in my AC line during walking and phenomenon still there, not as I thought all electricity will exhause to Ground.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #1,639 of 1,690
@goostknight
As far as I can think, walking/stand still but kicking hand will make some motion of blood cell, that including Fe- in a way directional that does not cancell completely to zero (ex a leg cause 0.1V while remain one cause 0.3V than "out put" is 0.2V bias.

What is your DT880 impedance, 32, 250, 500?
Hd800s kind of 300, noise level is still very cleary heard.
If your cans is too lazy with signal (said 0.3V level) you can try with your IEM.
After all if you can not experience same as me, may be my body is quite different. I sometimes got electrocut when touch my finger tip you othe one's

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #1,640 of 1,690
What is your DT880 impedance, 32, 250, 500?
they are 250 ohm, i played around with the aluminium foil for a bit but wasnt able to detect/hear something

maybe this has something todo with you moving the cable while walking, test another cable... the DT880 cable seems generally pretty immune to cable movement

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #1,641 of 1,690
@Ghoostknight, I want to test tourmaline in a RCA connector/plug(s). I have Tourmaline chips I was just turn into smaller pieces and powder. I have a few unused XLO branded gold plated copper RCA connectors. I have a couple questions:

1) Testing the Tourmaline chips with a digital continuity meter shows there is no continuity. Before placing the Tourmaline inside of the plug, do you seal off the positive pin or leave the contact exposed? Meaning is the Tourmaline coming into contact with the positive and negative contacts of the plug?

2) Anything else about this tweak I should know or be aware of? Like works better lubed, or mixed with other minerals? Back of the plug, plugged/sealed off works best with?

Thanks!

May 8, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #1,642 of 1,690
1) Testing the Tourmaline chips with a digital continuity meter shows there is no continuity. Before placing the Tourmaline inside of the plug, do you seal off the positive pin or leave the contact exposed? Meaning is the Tourmaline coming into contact with the positive and negative contacts of the plug?
no worrys with tourmaline on this, but be careful with putting anything conducting in it while the plus pole is exposed

2) Anything else about this tweak I should know or be aware of? Like works better lubed, or mixed with other minerals? Back of the plug, plugged/sealed off works best with?
i think you can definitely mix and match here (just be careful with conducting materials and the plus pole)

what i did on the last revisions is actually completely removing the plus pin and sealing off the hole so i can put conducting stuff in it to extend the ground surface area
tho i also know people that extent the plus pole on purpose (and not connecting it, but this creates in theory a electromagnetfield between plus pole and ground shell) giving you 1. a theoretical capacitor on the plus(signal) pin 2. a electromagnetfield that might "amplify" the crystal effect

on my tests only utilizing ground still has a noticable effect, and imo a better one/smoother one, tho the extended plus pole "is more audible"

there is actually a lot of things you can test to tweak these i think... but any one i build had some kind of effect, tweaking the construction just gives you a few percent more here and there imo

i just created this thread a few days ago https://www.head-fi.org/threads/piezoelectric-crystal-rca-caps-tweak.972741/ where i still gonna test some things, you can follow along there as soon i start receiving the materials, i will probably also share the whole build process of some of the prototypes

May 8, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #1,643 of 1,690
no worrys with tourmaline on this, but be careful with putting anything conducting in it while the plus pole is exposed

i think you can definitely mix and match here (just be careful with conducting materials and the plus pole)

what i did on the last revisions is actually completely removing the plus pin and sealing off the hole so i can put conducting stuff in it to extend the ground surface area
tho i also know people that extent the plus pole on purpose (and not connecting it, but this creates in theory a electromagnetfield between plus pole and ground shell) giving you 1. a theoretical capacitor on the plus(signal) pin 2. a electromagnetfield that might "amplify" the crystal effect

on my tests only utilizing ground still has a noticable effect, and imo a better one/smoother one, tho the extended plus pole "is more audible"

there is actually a lot of things you can test to tweak these i think... but any one i build had some kind of effect, tweaking the construction just gives you a few percent more here and there imo

i just created this thread a few days ago https://www.head-fi.org/threads/piezoelectric-crystal-rca-caps-tweak.972741/ where i still gonna test some things, you can follow along there as soon i start receiving the materials, i will probably also share the whole build process of some of the prototypes
How about plugging up the open hole (where the conductors usually pass through)? What are you using or find not to negatively effect the sonics?

May 8, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #1,644 of 1,690
How about plugging up the open hole (where the conductors usually pass through)? What are you using or find not to negatively effect the sonics?
i used thermal paste glue (non-conducting) before because i had it lying around, but i also ordered some colored UV glue now for the next prototypes i gonna build

i already tested the clear UV glue and it hardens quite well and stays clear, tho im actually not sure about electric properties here, i might have to listen whether this affects things negatively, i wanted to use the clear uv glue to close off the cap at the end, so you can still see what is inside (and white uv glue to close the plus pole pin, so it doesnt look off )

i just thought the UV glue is kind of more practical than epoxid

Also one thing i forgot to mention... make sure that the shell of your rca plug is actually connected to ground, with some rca plugs the shell is floating, some rca plugs also might leak powder depending on how you close them off and how they are constructed

im also still questioning a bit the whole "extending ground" theory but i will build some prototypes with
1. shungite
2. graphite powder
3. copper shaving
4. cut down silver plated ofc copper wire
5. cut down silver wire

... i will probably end up with graphite powder or some cut down stranded wire (they actually seem cheaper on bulk than for example some silver/copper powder you can buy...)

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #1,645 of 1,690
Also... if you wanna remove the plus pole... give it 5-10seconds with a soldering iron before you pull :)

May 8, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #1,646 of 1,690
Also... if you wanna remove the plus pole... give it 5-10seconds with a soldering iron before you pull :)
One can also snip off the positive contact pole from the inside. Then coat with epoxy or similar, so does not make contact with positive contact. I have to ponder this a bit and try it. Assuming this works, and the Tourmaline does not get oversaturated (because of volume) and make it ineffective after a period of time. No idea at this point if both contacts vs ground only changes what is heard. Will try this in the next couple of days.

Do you find that Tourmaline powder is more effective than small granules like sand? Or tiny chips?

May 8, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,647 of 1,690
Do you find that Tourmaline powder is more effective than small granules like sand? Or tiny chips?
stuff like sand sized works also quite well, i bet you could actually use (quartz) sand to a satisfiying degree, but yea powder seems somewhat more effective, tho i still wonder wether this comes from the particles all having the same size vs some varried sizes

i bought mostly 0,5mm - 3mm now... i might end up grinding it myself further down

i will probably doublecheck here myself

One can also snip off the positive contact pole from the inside. Then coat with epoxy or similar, so does not make contact with positive contact. I have to ponder this a bit and try it.
well pulling the signal pin is just my OCD kicking in to completely eliminate any possible effect on the signal itself :D but your way is maybe worth a shot too with isolated pin, a electromagnetic field could/will still form.... i might compare this, thanks for the thought :)

No idea at this point if both contacts vs ground only changes what is heard.
i just tested this 2-3 days ago as the last test was a while ago and utilized plus pole definitely is more audible, but something sound perception wise tells me that this is "too much" and not only a positive effect... but please test and let me know what you think :) most people just solder a piece of 1,5mm2 solid wire onto the plus pin extending it a few centimeters to the end of the plug (without making a short :) ) ... i tried 3x 1.5mm2 twisted together and also this.. is even more audible, tho like i said, you run into the danger of this theoretical capacitor effect that might just change the sound a bit more, like using a different cable with different capacitance

Edit: oh i think i missunderstood your post, no there are a few things at play i think... thats why experimenting is key here

i havent build much rca caps so far, maybe 10-15, because with no further incentive i was just happy with the effect i got with rather simple methods but i will some further testing here too

but obvious things are:
1. plus pole utilized
2. connector completely shielded
3. crystal size
4. which crystal
5. ground surface area extended or not
6. glue (which i havent thought about before "critically")
7. materials of connector and with which materials you extend the ground surface

atleast these are the somewhat objective factors... :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #1,648 of 1,690
I just found another tweak the other day btw .... i think this is also where putting crystals on device cases makes sense...

i played around with the orgonite idea after watching some videos ... and there is some connection between conducting stuff and the crystals for sure

1. i wrapped some solid core wire around bigger crystals i had, this actually gives the "effect" of what i would expect when placing the crystals on the speakers while they produce vibrations (of course not the same exact strength but it gets into the same ballpark), this basicly gives you some kind of cheap diy orgonite, maybe even a better one because you dont play with epoxid at all, that might affect the frequencys produces

2. then i played around with the coil idea around orgonites, making the wire a specific length etc, this actually changes the effect

3. after playing with coil length my thoughts were... hmm.. what if the wire length matters because different electromagnetic frequencies get picked up?

4. then i placed some shungite (pretty good conducting) on the crystals i had on the speaker.... this is actually the best effect i expierenced so far with these orgonites, i think it has todo with that it was one large chunk of shungite... not smaller pieces or some coils etc... this was my intend for trying shungite, it was the best chunk of conducting stuff i had at hand...

And a few words on my thoughts on the whole orgonite idea... i mean, dont believe all this esoteric talk but i think its strange that both cases, orgonites and audio stuff seem to line in theory, tho nobody knows what exactly happens, my theory is that we sense some kind of produced electromagnetic frequencys or vibrations, i mean, i dont really believe that crystals placed on speakers have any effect on noise on the 30cm away speaker cables

the tweak i spoke about is basicly a piezoelectric crystal placed on a chunk of shungite or something else conducting like a device case :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #1,649 of 1,690
btw the effect of tourmaline is pretty clear imo, it seems to boost bass, increase clarity, but if you use too much it also seems to literally make you fall asleep... i just noticed this because i had placed all i had on the speakers for the negative ion test .... but it is literally unlistenable not tuned well.... and i was messing with the EQ wondering why the bass was so unlistenable... xD till i finally got that i placed all the tourmaline on the speakers...
in amounts the "too much" could be like 10-20< rca plugs full of fine tourmaline imo, thats probably how much i had on the speakers

testing prehnite just showed me that its definitely worth trying different crystals... also quartz vs tourmaline is pretty obvious imo

for me quartz is a bit annoying if im honest and prehnite is like a "tourmaline light" version i really like, tho i also bought now some smokey quartz to test, thanks again for the hint :)

May 8, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #1,650 of 1,690
probably a good video on shungite if anyone is interested

i will probably try to get some high quality stuff to compare to my quite high measuring ones (around 2-3 ohm, funny enough it measures 2-3 ohm with the probes either 1cm apart or 8cm apart...), maybe the higher resistance also did the "magic" here for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back