Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
May 5, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #106 of 154
The thought of the M8 U only occurred to me because I'm already so excited about the M5 U. Started with the operating software. And of course the sound. Here and there we see what a great sound is possible for just under 600 bucks. Then I came up with the idea of a player in the 1200-1500 bucks class based on the M5U and uncompromisingly focused solely on sound. That would be great. Imagine what that thing would sound like???

I would like to see that too definitely be a flagship level there, I agree android is bad for sound it has its impurities, but I love streaming and luckily I can use airplay from my iPhone so easily and in my tests it sounds better then ldac as ldac is colouring the sound and airplay stays pretty balanced and its a wifi vs Bluetooth…
So I am able to stream my Spotify straight to m5u with such ease.
The thing with androids is that dlna need a special app to get to work and some work around so with apple its easier due to airplay… Also nothing compares to direct usb dac mode that way its ultimately the best sound.

I keep on burning in my m5u I am at 130hours atm and feel the airiness for soundstage is still opening is not yet ready, the sound signature overall is really good love the bass and gentle trebly sparkles. Those elna silmic capacitors are very tough they need maybe more then 200h of burn in. By memory my H5 after 200h was very impressive, felt that stage better and the bass was so so physical and massive that it moved the air threw my body 😅😄

May 5, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #107 of 154
In his review, Sandu States that the resolution and transparency of this device isn't great - thoughts? He said both the Fiio M23 and Hiby R6 Pro II are noticeably better in this regard. I would say that the transparency and resolution in my M6 Ultra are definitely somewhat lacking compared to my M8, though it wasn't necessarily designed for this with its somewhat dark, smooth, and warmish sound.

May 6, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #108 of 154
In his review, Sandu States that the resolution and transparency of this device isn't great - thoughts? He said both the Fiio M23 and Hiby R6 Pro II are noticeably better in this regard. I would say that the transparency and resolution in my M6 Ultra are definitely somewhat lacking compared to my M8, though it wasn't necessarily designed for this with its somewhat dark, smooth, and warmish sound.

I do not really agree with that statement on Sandu side, I find m5u as detailed even sharper in reproducing the notes and sounds of the music then my wm1zm2! Yes it is a warmish tuning yet it doesn’t miss the details its all there… he said using low tear iems or headphones is where the problem is, well then its not really a m5u problem if your headphones cant reach that level lol. With my ie 600 I can sense and feel everything. And as he said missing that treble sparkle and punch just select short delay fast roll and you'll be shocked how sparkly and trebly it gets! Also all that resolution he’s mentioning will be cleaned up cause in that filter mode the dac is more clean sounding but for my personal opinion while I enjoyed it I still tend to go back to short delay slow roll off because of that smoothness and gentleness, its warmer yes, if tou need cleanliness just change filter.

My only concern with m5u would be the soundstage and the perception of a bigger room, its not as big like with my wm1zm2 and I kinda miss that. I want more openness in sound, I want to feel that huge hall where you listen in a huge room, in m5u feels more intimate kinda. It has room but its not the level of roominess like my 1z

May 6, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #109 of 154
I do not really agree with that statement on Sandu side, I find m5u as detailed even sharper in reproducing the notes and sounds of the music then my wm1zm2! Yes it is a warmish tuning yet it doesn’t miss the details its all there… he said using low tear iems or headphones is where the problem is, well then its not really a m5u problem if your headphones cant reach that level lol. With my ie 600 I can sense and feel everything. And as he said missing that treble sparkle and punch just select short delay fast roll and you'll be shocked how sparkly and trebly it gets! Also all that resolution he’s mentioning will be cleaned up cause in that filter mode the dac is more clean sounding but for my personal opinion while I enjoyed it I still tend to go back to short delay slow roll off because of that smoothness and gentleness, its warmer yes, if tou need cleanliness just change filter.

My only concern with m5u would be the soundstage and the perception of a bigger room, its not as big like with my wm1zm2 and I kinda miss that. I want more openness in sound, I want to feel that huge hall where you listen in a huge room, in m5u feels more intimate kinda. It has room but its not the level of roominess like my 1z
I also don't feel like the M5U lacks resolution or detail. As you know, I also have the ie 600. I've noticed that it sounds even better when it gets real power. At high gain it really shines and every little detail comes through perfectly. It's nice that the M5U sounds nice and soft in all frequencies. There's nothing annoying there. You can listen to him for hours without getting tired. With the AM 2 I switched off voluntarily after 2 hours, I didn't feel like it anymore. All I can say about Sandus is that in my opinion it's not true. I think he chose the wrong filter setting and not the ideal headphones. He could also mix things up between the three. The Fiio is neutral and flat, brighter and the dynamic is as bad as the AM 2. The Hiby is a bit warmer but not nearly as warm as the M5U. This could make it seem as if the two are better at the details due to the brighter sound. So my favorite is the M5 U. I particularly like this incredible dynamic. Ok, the sound stage is more intimate but that's also due to the ie 600, which doesn't have the largest sound stage, but I like it. @ Vitaly do you like the M5U better than ZM 1 or 2? except the Klanstage, wide depth? That may be true. But think about how much the Sony and the M5U cost. It's unbelievable what the M5U can do for the price.

May 6, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #111 of 154
I'm currently listening to Salsa with the M5U and the ie 600. It's so fun, these basses, these sweet mids and the gentle highs paired with this dynamic take me back to Cali to the little salsa clubs. When I close my eyes I feel like I'm sitting in the middle of it all. Just wonderful. Everything sounds so realistic and natural. Just Wooow!!

May 6, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #112 of 154
@Shanling Any Plans to incorporate a PEQ that would be at the top of my wish list and the ability of the volume light to change RGB colors depending on file quality 😀 Please 🙏 😀

May 6, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #115 of 154
Sorry @ Shanling the switch off exist :smile: :smile: :smile:

Yep its in the menus hehe
But battery care I totally love that option so it dont ware the battery to fast. So far I am really liking the stamina of the m5u very long lasting it beats my Sony's 😅

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #116 of 154
Very curious how the new XM5 will compare to this... similar size, power etc. I need at least one of them in my life - all that power in a relatively small DAP is so appealing!

May 6, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #118 of 154
May 7, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #119 of 154
Hello again. I would like to ask if Shanling ME600 would be a good combination with Shanling M5 Ultra for metal music or Nicehck Himalaya would be the better choice. Also, I'd love to get suggestions on IEMs that will suit my purposes with the Shanling M5 Ultra. Thanks.

May 7, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #120 of 154
I also don't feel like the M5U lacks resolution or detail. As you know, I also have the ie 600. I've noticed that it sounds even better when it gets real power. At high gain it really shines and every little detail comes through perfectly. It's nice that the M5U sounds nice and soft in all frequencies. There's nothing annoying there. You can listen to him for hours without getting tired. With the AM 2 I switched off voluntarily after 2 hours, I didn't feel like it anymore. All I can say about Sandus is that in my opinion it's not true. I think he chose the wrong filter setting and not the ideal headphones. He could also mix things up between the three. The Fiio is neutral and flat, brighter and the dynamic is as bad as the AM 2. The Hiby is a bit warmer but not nearly as warm as the M5U. This could make it seem as if the two are better at the details due to the brighter sound. So my favorite is the M5 U. I particularly like this incredible dynamic. Ok, the sound stage is more intimate but that's also due to the ie 600, which doesn't have the largest sound stage, but I like it. @ Vitaly do you like the M5U better than ZM 1 or 2? except the Klanstage, wide depth? That may be true. But think about how much the Sony and the M5U cost. It's unbelievable what the M5U can do for the price.

I agree he didn’t give proper attention to m5u and many people don’t cause they think shanling sound house is too warm and missing some nuances cause they think its warm then automatically its like that, well I think its not true. I always loved and prized hugely the wm1z m1 for its amazing openess in sound and warmth it was honey nectar and bliss to my ears I even paired it with empire ears phantom which are also very warm and very dynamic iem I really loved it. When came to wm1z m2 I felt it has lost that honey due feel and got to clean. Some reason when I listen to my wm1z m2 I get bored after some time is just not fun the music doesn’t feel as engaging and fun enjoyable as with shanling. With H5 and m5u is soo good so musical so dancing and feet tapping, like oh there’s a new song and with each comes a different nuance and bass note reproduction. Many daps I experienced before make bass slam and detail to be the same, you cant feel that different nunace from a sonic sound wave yet with shanling you do and its very addictive very visceral so fun and enjoyable. My sony does that as well it can dig deep into micro details but with m5u its more precise more clean more defined. Think of it like sony’s details retrieval seems more airy and flofy and gentle and with m5u its more present really well presented and right there! Yet warmer then sony’s and still with more clarity.

The only part where sony wins is soundstage and huge roominess, m5u has soundstage but its more blacker the background and very clean. You do hear and feel the soundstage but not in your face like sonys its a more subtle way in m5u. Some tracks yes sony really shines and wins but it’s still not as fun see eventually yeaa great soundstage but wheres that musical mystical tuning I love well its in m5u 💖

I managed to do some tweaks on wm1z m2 to sound the closest possible to m5u tuning and for that I enabled dsee ultimate and linear phase amp B low, now its faster and deeper into bass slam. Still m5u wins in fun and musical factor.

I suspect m5u need beyond 200h burn in as it feels it opening it self more and more closer I get to 200h. I feel some restriction like the capacitor is not there yet almost almost. My wm1z m2 is over 500h and very open feeling no drawback that hold the sound airiness.

I will admit I love the H5 tuning a bit more then m5u because of the bigger fun factor and stronger bass, its literally physical and pushes you with acoustical sound waves that you feel vibrating threw your chest just amazing. M5u is more balanced so to be as closest to H5 i set sharp roll off filter as that’s the default filter for H5.

In my audio journey I only loved two daps the wm1z and shanling those are my top top two nothing else drove my soul and music enjoyment as those two brands.

Cheers
Tiger Ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back