Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #150,781 of 152,336
Yeah ... Annette had already done The Rocky Horror Picture Show, so thankfully that was out of the way. We still watch it occasionally. :)
"I remember doing the time warp..." So guttural, who sings like that! So much fun. Yeah, I was there at the live shows
in the mid 70's. Thankfully my parents declined to go.

May 6, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #150,782 of 152,336
I don’t think you’ve ever really had to deal with a “proper” standards body like the Bluetooth consortium. Good luck telling them that you’ll only comply with parts of their standard.
I tried to play Dungeons and Dragons with a guy whose job it was to represent our company on a standards committee (IGES).

It was an experience; dare I say standard setting for how not to play the game? Everything had to precisely match what the manuals said. And, if it wasn't in the manual,
then it had to match something in the real world.

Otherwise a great guy :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #150,783 of 152,336
"I remember doing the time warp..." So guttural, who sings like that! So much fun. Yeah, I was there at the live shows
in the mid 70's. Thankfully my parents declined to go.
I heard of it on T.V. and then saw it live with regulars in '81. Great Scot!

May 6, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #150,784 of 152,336
Appreciate it, Tom. I intend to make cables for my Schiit stack in the rack that bcowen gifted me with. It will give me something to do at the bench, as I just got home from the ER at the hospital. I should get some sort of frequent flyer miles at that place.
Hope you're OK Sam? I guess being back "home from the ER" is always a good sign, but still.

May 6, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #150,785 of 152,336
How do you all deal with "needle talk"?

As I needledrop the LPs I have that are either too pricey for CD or remastered after 1995, I have my 'table playing the LP and the needle talk is very annoying and disturbing.

Now, mostly, I'm in another room and it's not that loud. Or, if I'm actual listening to record via headphones, I don't hear it. Being a nervosa type, I still know it's there...

P.S. Another video by that same guy states that (paraphrased), "a downside to 96Khz sample rate recording is that it can't be processed so heavily because it's too computationally expensive." I'm good with that :)
My dog likes "Needle Talk"

1715051232488.png

May 6, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #150,786 of 152,336
Have I witnessed a 1 word post from ACP. Are you feelin' ok. I can get some meds out to you. Next day delivery. Just give me the word. This forum is not the same without you.
There is a (rare) precedence for this, so I think he is OK. :relaxed:

May 7, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #150,787 of 152,336
BSD was and remains a specific fork of a proprietary system. It conforms to SOME standards, to varying degrees, (depending on which derivative version) but its real claim to fame has always been open source rather than open standards.
BSD was not open source in any legal sense, at least not until all of multiple lawsuits were resolved. The story is the following:
  1. Bell Labs made PDP-11 Unix source code available to universities and nonprofit research labs from the mid 70s, under some somewhat ambiguous terms
  2. The University of California, Berkeley (UCB) started redistributing PDP-11 Unix with a bunch of improvements, around 1979, as BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) 2.x
  3. Soon after, UCB created a fork for the newly released 32-bit Digital VAX-11; the first version that traveled significantly was 4.1 BSD, although the better known one was 4.2 BSD, with the internet sockets API (4.1 BSD had some other rather obnoxious networking stack that I had to help make work in graduate school).
  4. Details here
  5. Eventually, BSD 4.X became widespread, commercial licensing started, but not before a huge tangle of rights was created between AT&T, UCB, and others, which led eventually to very long and wasteful litigation.
  6. I was very involved in using and hacking Bell Labs Unix V7, BSD 2.x for PDP-11s, BSD 4.x on VAX and then its variant on Sun workstations, 1980-1987. Good times!

May 7, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #150,788 of 152,336
I was once on a software standards committee at Aetna in the mid 80's. Me and my buddy had 2 buttons made up, told the committee that there are 5000 buttons to distribute. The buttons said "We've upped our standards, now up yours"
Posted before, still get a chuckle, it took a few seconds for everyone else in the meeting to realize we were joking

May 7, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #150,789 of 152,336
Audiophiles: the shortest signal path is the best, we don't want the signal to be degraded.

Meanwhile: Roon server > Roon endpoint> DAC > headphone amp

This hobby amazes me everyday:smile:
Yes, it sometimes seems something got lost along the way. But at least with hifi your not forced to upgrade your software to keep your favourite sounds happening if you don't want to. Your 78 speed vinyl player will still run just fine into a pair of active speakers and you don't need to back it up.

May 7, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #150,790 of 152,336
150,000!!!

[Let's see, 15 posts per page X 10,000 pages = THE MATHS DON'T LIE!]
I am ... yet again ... a little behind ... but I believe I have read each of the first 150,000.

Time for a re-posting of the Schiit sine curve, so we can reflect upon, and celebrate, the journey. A thread like no other. The friends, the cats, the alcohol, the tubes, the hinted-at submarine tales, etc etc etc. And the Chapters by Jason Stoddard that somehow hold all this epic crap together.

It takes a village of special idiots. And yes, I am talking about all of you (us).

On towards 200,000.

May 7, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #150,791 of 152,336
I am ... yet again ... a little behind ... but I believe I have read each of the first 150,000.

Time for a re-posting of the Schiit sine curve, so we can reflect upon, and celebrate, the journey. A thread like no other. The friends, the cats, the alcohol, the tubes, the hinted-at submarine tales, etc etc etc. And the Chapters by Jason Stoddard that somehow hold all this epic crap together.

It takes a village of special idiots. And yes, I am talking about all of you (us).

On towards 200,000.
I can take the hint :relieved:
I have a few additions to make to the sine wave, so will get it updated and out in the next few days!

* I had a vague plan to do a "10,000" hz version.... but life (actually, work) got in the way

May 7, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #150,793 of 152,336
I tried to play Dungeons and Dragons with a guy whose job it was to represent our company on a standards committee (IGES).

It was an experience; dare I say standard setting for how not to play the game? Everything had to precisely match what the manuals said. And, if it wasn't in the manual,
then it had to match something in the real world.

Otherwise a great guy :)
Does “anal retentive” have a hyphen in it, or a colon? :gs1000smile:

May 7, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #150,794 of 152,336
Scored on some Westinghouse 12AU7's , 337 code, Grey Dots...will try in the Vali 3 and Vali 2 +.
6626 date code..just a year before I graduated from high school in 1967!
Will compare to the 12AU7s from Tom.....

1715083339037.png
https://tubemaze.info/westinghouse-12au7-carbon-plates/

Alex
Very nice, I look forward to learning about them!

I now have a Wiim streamer hooked to my Vali 3 for a handy, compact, all in one system. I do not pick up on any sonic improvement but it is quite handy. About to try it in my shop, the remote is out on the Bob Carver preamp I generally use so this unit will give me that capability once again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back